Thursday, February 7, 2008

Skijor race Chapman Park PA

The "pro" skijors are all competing in races in New Hampshire and Canada this weekend. Its just me and Mendel, a woman with Rocky, who has little interest in leaving the starting line, and a girl on downhill skis (!) with two beautiful racing siberians. Mendel ran well both days, only stopping once to take a poop. The snow coverage was terribly thin, and after spending the past week fine tuning my skis, rocks on the trail left the bottoms of my skis a mess.

In addition to the the skijorers, 2 dog and 4 dog sled teams all ran the same course (about 3 miles) and I can at least take some satisfaction in that of all the dogs that ran this course, no dog ran faster than Mendel! After the race Sonia, Mendel and I went out for a fun ski on the frozen lake. Mendel still had plenty of energy to pull Sonia and we had a good time. Our big worry was the cut on Mendels foot. We ran him with a bootie protecting the cut and happily we got through the weekend without the cut re-opening.

Saturday night we did some tricks and set up a small "agility course" in the hallway of the Warren Holiday Inn. I put trash cans in the 1st floor hallway and used them as jumps and posts to run around. We were having fun and I was impressed with myself in how well I could control Mendel. Then he decided he had enough agility and took off like a rocket toward the main Lobby area. I yelled "DOWN!" and luckily the stars must have been alighed because he listened and performed an "emergency down" before he created chaos in the Holiday Inn Nightclub. I'm also glad that we thought better of the idea of letting Mendel have a late night swim in the Holiday Inn pool. I wouldn't have wanted to get kicked out during our Mendel's first hotel experience .

day 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpvXl97o2xY
day 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igHb0L930Sw&NR=1

No comments: